Thai Style Coconut & Vegetable Soup
From The Healthy Coconut by Jenni Madison (Rockpool Publishing)
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbs Coconut Magic coconut oil
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger, grated
- ½ inch piece turmeric, grated – or ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ red chili – or as hot as you like it
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- 2 tbs coconut amino or tamari sauce
- 2 cups of clean water
- Vegetables 200g snow peas, julienned (sliced very fine)
- 1 cup sweet potato, sliced into small thin slices
- 1 bunch of bok choy, chopped finely
- ½ bunch of coriander
Saute the onions in the coconut oil until soft.
Add the kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, ginger, chili,turmeric, lime zest. Cook for a further 5 minutes stirring regularly.
Add coconut milk, sweet potato and water. Simmer gently with the lid on for 15 minutes allowing the flavours to blend into the soup.
Add the tamari sauce, snow peas, bok choy, basil leaves and lime juice and stir.
Simmer for a further 5 minutes, add half the coriander, and then remove from heat
Garnish with the remaining coriander and serve.
Serves 4 + prep: 30 min.
Jenni Madison discovered the benefits of coconut oil while living in Thailand in 2009. She is the founder of Coconut Magic and author of The Healthy Coconut .