Coconut Quinoa with Kale & Pesto
From The Healthy Coconut by Jenni Madison (Rockpool Publishing)
- Coconut Quinoa
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup clean water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 small bunch of kale, stems removed and leaves chopped (for a total of about 4 cups chopped kale)
- ½ small-to-medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cups Coconut Magic coconut flakes
- Basil Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- packed ½ cup cashews
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- Pink salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ lime, juiced (or more, to taste)
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup clean water, and bring to the boil.
Add the quinoa, cover and simmer for 15 to 17 minutes, until the filtered water is absorbed.
Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, cover and set aside.
Combine the fresh basil, cashews and garlic in a food processor.
Start processing the mixture, and slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
Season with salt, pepper, lime juice and red pepper flakes, all to taste, and blend well.
In a medium serving bowl, combine the warm coconut quinoa, chopped kale, red onion and pesto.
Mix well with a big spoon and season to taste with salt and pepper, if necessary.
Serves 4-6 + prep: 30 min. + cook: 25 - 30 min
In a skillet over medium heat, toast the coconut flakes for a few minutes until golden and fragrant, stirring often.
Sprinkle on top of the salad and serve warm.
You can also replace the basil with coriander for a beautiful coriander pesto option.
Jenni Madison discovered the benefits of coconut oil while living in Thailand in 2009. She is the founder of Coconut Magic and author of The Healthy Coconut .